Friday, July 22, 2011

F***ed Up Friday: "Lover I Don't Have to Love" by Bright Eyes

So we come to another Friday, and despite your violent behavior, the only thing you've managed to break it my heart my best intentions, I've not managed to actually get a non-FUF blog together.  Blame it on working too much, or the heat (it's currently stupid hot here in NYC...last I checked 104 and rising), or just general life getting in the way.


Did I mention it's stupid hot out?

This week's FUF song is another one of those good staples, and much like Dido, Tori, and several others, is likely destined to be a repeat FUFer.  Sometimes we want love.  Other times we just want to make out.  This song is for when we're in the second mood.

Today's FUF selection is "Lover I Don't Have to Love" by Bright Eyes;


I picked you out
Of a crowd and talked to you
Said I liked your shoes
You said thanks can I follow you?
So it's up the stairs
And out of view
No prying eyes
I poured some wine
I asked your name you asked the time

(I really like that last line...it's so...tragically depressing in a way)

Now it's two o'clock,
the club is closed we're up the block
Your hands on me
I'm pressing hard against your jeans
Your tongue in my mouth
Trying to keep the words from coming out
You didn't care to know
Who else may have been you before

I want a lover I don't have to love
I want a girl who's too sad to give a fuck
Where's the kid with the chemicals?
I thought he said to meet me here but I'm not sure
I got the money if you got the time
You said it feels good I said I'll give it a try

Then my mind went dark
We both forgot where your car was parked
Let's just take the train
I'll meet up with the band in the morning
Bad actors with bad habits
Some sad singers
They just play tragic
And the phone's ringing
And the van's leaving
Let's just keep touching
Let's just keep keep singing

I want a lover I don't have to love
I want a boy who's so drunk he doesn't talk
Where's the kid with the chemicals
I got a hunger and I can't seem to get full
I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

But you but you
You write such pretty words
But life's no story book
Love's an excuse to get hurt
And to hurt
Do you like to hurt?
I do! I do!
Then hurt me.

I like the shift in the last verse from vaguely depressing casualty to actual potential feelings...yet also the underlying difficulty of having a relationship in the first place.  It's basically the difference between what you think you want and what you actually wind up finding.  Oh love...so strange and confusing.

But now for something a bit happier, since that's perhaps the most depressing song ever.  This is another Bright Eyes song, but I like the view of hope in it.  And the video is freaking adorable!  See you next week!

"Bowl of Oranges" by Bright Eyes:

No comments:

Post a Comment