Friday, May 13, 2011

F***ed Up Friday Eurovision Edition: "Unsubstantial Blues" by Magdi Ruzsa

Note:  Blogger was down most of the day.  I apologize for the delay in posting.

Welcome back, cats and kittens, to F***ed up Friday, where we strive to find the best songs to deal with (or drive) your emotional crises.  Today, we have a very special Eurovision edition.

Now you may be thinking, haven't we spent the last week talking about how Eurovision is one big collection of drag queens, glitter, crazy costumes, Finish heavy metal, and post-colonial passive aggressiveness?  How on earth can ABBA help with my emotional development?

Presenting 2007's competitor from Hungary, Magdi Ruzsa.  Who?  Quickly, to the wikis!  Sometimes called the Hungarian version of Janis Joplin (hmmmmm....potential FUF there), Ruzsa was discovered in 2005 by winning the Hungarian version of American Hungarian Idol.  She then went on to compete for Hungary in Eurovision in 2007, where she placed 9th overall (the highest placing for Hungary ever) and won the 2007 award for best songwriter.


From the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest, this week's selection is "Unsubstantial Blues" by Hungary's Magdi Ruzsa.


Now if you've been cheated on, you can stop right now.  Crack open a bottle of wine and put this song on repeat.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  If you have effigies to burn, that's even better.

For those of us who haven't been cheated on (if you're the cheater, stop reading right now and don't come back), "Unsubstantial Blues" should still find its way into your emotional roller coaster playlist.  Let's take a closer look.

How many times have you fooled me and denied that
It's her who you love, and it sure isn't me?
So now that it's over, I'll try and take it sober
Leave questions unasked, remember us laughing at the broken past
God, if I could make it on without you

You're such a casual man, oh, wavin' an empty hand
I'm helpless and I'm lonely without you
Yes, you're a casual man, lendin' an empty hand
Left me breathless with nothing more to lose

I used to dream we'd take it nice and easy
Get jobs, settle down in Jameson Town
If now you could see me, you'd think twice about leaving
You said forever is the time you gonna spend around

So why did you leave me?
And why should I believe it?
You say goodbye
Oh, why, oh... why you leave me?
Said, why?

You're such a casual man, oh, wavin' an empty hand
I'm helpless and I'm lonely without you
You're such a casual man, lendin' an empty hand
Left me breathless with nothing more to lose

Casual man, lendin' an empty hand
Left me breathless with nothing more to lose
Except an evanescent unsubstantial blues


So whether you've been cheated on, broken up with, or just realized that things aren't going to work out...this song speaks to your broken heart.  It shifts seamlessly from dreams to heart broken reality, from finding those moments of strength ("If now you could see me, you'd think twice of leaving") to those moments of pure pain ("I'm helpless and I'm lonely without you").  It goes from acceptance to questioning and back again.  And in the end, she captures the true essence of what FUF is here to help you deal with...that feeling not of anger or of hurt...just just an evanescent unsubstantial blues.

As a bonus, here is the live version from Eurovision 2007:

No comments:

Post a Comment