Friday, May 20, 2011

F***ed Up Friday: "Matinee" by Hurts to Purr

Welcome back to F***ed Up Friday, music for your emotional crisis.  We've covered a lot of territory in these past few weeks.  From creepy stalking behavior to late nights drinking alone to the lingering ache of the break up, we've been through a lot together.  But never fear, there will always be music to truly capture your unique brand of emotional need.

Today's song is perfect for those of you who are champs at unrequited love.  Recommended by my friend Daisy, who is second only to your intrepid hero in these one-sided relationships, today's F***ed Up Friday selection is "Matinee" by Hurts to Purr.


So calm.  So unassuming.  Just a girl going to the movies.  Alone.

It’s a perfect day for a matinee
The rain falling
It’s a perfect day for a matinee
And I’m calling in sick

So I can lose myself in a dark room
With two old ladies laughing when I do
And the ushers are watching too

It’s a perfect day for a matinee
And I think I love you
It’s a perfect day for a matinee
And I’m hoping you love me too

Hoping so hard that I need to escape
And calm down my heart to a regular pace
But I miss your hand on my knee
What a wonderful way 

It’s a perfect day for a matinee
And I leave the theater, it’s light out, it’s light out
It’s a perfect day for a matinee
And I’ll call you later, tell you what the movie was about

And you’ll laugh and ask why I went alone
And I’ll lie and say I thought everybody’d already seen that one
But you would have gone
You would have gone
Oh you would have, you would have gone




If it's not clear from the lyrics, let's review. Girl. Likes a boy. But she goes to the movies. Alone. And all she does is think of the boy she's in love with. And when she finally calls him, what does she do? Does she cut the crap and tells him she loves him? NO.  Does she invite him out to the movies?  NO.  She lies.  The sad thing is, sometimes it's easier that way.


This is another one of those songs that clearly needs to be listened to over and over again for maximum effect.  Preferably with wine.  Better yet, go to a matinee.  Then listen to this all day.

Then of course, deny everything.  Including the crush.  And remember, never make someone a priority if you're just an option.


No comments:

Post a Comment